Sunday, June 24, 2012

Almond Flour Pancakes with Fresh Peach Syrup and Whipped Coconut Cream


Since I'm doing the Paleo Study, regular old pancakes are not on the table...literally.  So, we cavewomen need to get creative!  Thank goodness someone else invented almond flour because it has saved my butt numerous times on this diet!

I did not invent this recipe, but I did tweak it a bit and I think they turned out the best I've ever had them.  The original recipe can be found here. And if you're interested, Elana of Elana's Pantry has the best almond flour cookbook.  It's good even if you're not Paleo.


  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons almond milk, or more to thin out batter  (I used homemade vanilla almond milk that was sweetened with dates, so if you're going to buy almond milk, get the sweetened vanilla.) You could also use water here, but the flavor/texture would be different.
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons real maple syrup or raw honey
  • 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour (you could use almond meal, but I'm not a fan of the texture.)
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • Organic extra virgin coconut oil for the griddle
  1. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, almond milk, vanilla and syrup/honey
  2. Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix until thoroughly combined
  3. Heat coconut oil on skillet over medium low to medium heat
  4. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto the skillet
  5. Pancakes will form little bubbles, when bubbles open, flip pancakes over and cook other side
  6. Remove from heat to a plate
  7. Repeat process with remaining batter, add more oil to skillet as needed


Peach syrup

Now this one I did invent, sort of. It's not rocket science, but I didn't follow a recipe.

1/2 a fresh peach, sliced
2 medjool dates, pitted and pulled in half
sprinkling of cinnamon, to taste. (maybe 1/4 teaspoon)
Squirt of fresh lemon juice (not much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon)
1/4 cup of water

In a small saucepan, place all ingredients and stir until mixed through.  Simmer on medium-high heat until mixture boils.  Turn to medium-low and let boil, stirring occasionally (make sure to mash dates really well to release their yummy sweetness. this will also help to thicken the syrup).  Once mixture is thicker, and tastes sweet enough, it's ready!  Pour on top of pancakes and enjoy!


Whipped Coconut Cream

This one is so easy and tasty, I sometimes can't believe it's as healthy as it is.

1 can of coconut milk, refrigerated for 4 hours or more (I keep a can in the refrigerator at all times so I can make this any time I want)
1 t. vanilla (or fresh vanilla bean is even better!)
1/2 t - 1t.  sweetener of choice, to taste (I have used organic raw agave, maple syrup, and coconut sugar, you could also use cane sugar or honey, or of course powdered sugar. I would like to use dates, but haven't had the time/patience to do it just yet.)

Open your can of refrigerated coconut milk, scoop out JUST the top white part that has firmed up. You don't want any of the water that's left in the bottom.  Use a mixer to whip the coconut cream until it is soft and whippy looking. Add vanilla and sweetener.  Start low on the sweetener, taste your whipped cream, add more if you want a sweeter cream.  And, done!  You could add cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, etc for a spicy kick.

I love to garnish my food.  Once you've plated your pancakes and syrup, sprinkle generously with yummy nuts or hemp seeds.   Then dollop with Coconut Cream!  Nom-ola!







No comments:

Post a Comment