Thursday, October 17, 2013

Asian chicken lettuce wraps


I've been making these lettuce wraps for months. It sort of happened accidentally. I was making dinner one night, but I was super tired and had no desire to cook. At. All. Can ya feel me??  Every once in a while that happens.  ;) Then, on top of not feeling like cooking, I didn't have some of the ingredients. Who decides to make a new recipe without checking for ingredients first?  Yeah, me.  I was *this close* to just throwing in the towel and ordering pizza, but for some reason I followed through with it anyway and "winged" it, which I actually love to do most nights, so I guess it's all good.

So, the original recipe is here, but I tweaked it quite a bit (and my picture looks wayyy better. You'll see what I mean). I hope you like them as much as we do!

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
(serves 4)

Ingredients:
1 pound ground chicken
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons sriracha, plus extra for drizzle
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
2 garlic cloves, pressed
3 Tablespoons peanut butter
6 Tablespoons boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste
8-12 large romaine lettuce leaves
1 carrot, shredded
chopped peanuts, optional
chopped cilantro, optional
chopped green onion, optional
diced avocado, optional

Directions:
1.) Brown chicken in large pan until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped red pepper and cook until tender, 5 more minutes.

2.) Add vinegar, ginger, sriracha, sesame oil, worcestershire sauce, red curry paste and garlic, stir well until blended.  Add peanut butter and stir well. Add boiling water a tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached.

3.) Assemble romaine leaves on plate. Place ground chicken mixture on each leaf and garnish with the carrot, more sriracha if you like, and any of the other toppings that sound good/you have on hand.

Enjoy!

Between me and you, sometimes I like to just chop the lettuce and toss it all together like a salad. But, shhhh, don't tell anyone.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment